Old Wayfarer Clone Recipe
OG = 1.062
FG = .998
ABV = 6.8% abv.
- 6 lbs Dark Honey: a good, inexpensive blend is Baker's Special from Dutch Gold
- 1/2 lb. Demerara Sugar
- 4.5 Gallons Water
- 1 oz. Wyeast Wine Yeast Nutrient
- 5 Campden Tablets (if desired)
- 2 oz. Medium Toast American or Hungarian Oak Chips (not French!)
- 4 packets Danstar Munich yeast
Step by Step
Combine the first five ingredients at 104°F (40°C) stirring vigorously to aerate.
Wait 24 hours for the sulfites to do their thing, then sprinkle the dry yeast over the top of the must.
Maintain the fermentation at about 88°F (31°C).
Vigorously degas your mead before carbonating. This is absolutely essential to prevent your final product from smelling like eggs. This is a good time to add those oak chips.
Age on the Oak for two weeks.
Degas again for good measure, then carbonate in bottle or kegs, and wait another week!
For general brewing principles and practices please visit our article: How We Brew Everything We Brew
Don't want to wait? You can order this mead online and have it shipped right to your door in most of the US!